Artists-In-Residence Programme of the Municipal Gallery bwa in Bydgoszcz
The new Artists-In-Residence Programme of the Municipal Gallery bwa is international in character and aimed at Polish and foreign artists who are willing to take on the subject of Bydgoszcz multiculturalism in experimental and innovative ways. We are interested in the city as a text of culture.
For artists, creators, educators and curators from different areas, such as: visual arts, choreography, performance, dance, music, sound art, radio dramas, radio art forms (or radio art), writing, literature, architecture, urban planning, film, interdisciplinary forms.
THE DURATION OF THE STAY IN BYDGOSZCZ: 4 weeks (from approx. October 1st, 2017)
THE AUTHOR OF THE SELECTED PROJECT IS GUARANTEED:
– a space for work and meetings with the audience (a space for a small studio – 6 m² – is located in the Gallery building)
– travel expenses (arrival and departure only)
– budget for meetings with the audience and for the final event
– working together and consulting with a group of curators
– assistance in gathering of information on local resources
– presentation of the work – we look for new models of presentation and agree on them based on specific cases; it is also possible to include presentations in local exhibitions or festivals
– cooperation with schools, non-governmental organisations and local communities, as well as the artistic and creative circles.
PLACES, CONDITION, RESOURCES
As a part of the Programme, we expect the artist to:
– design and create the final art event in the period of up to three months after the end of the 4-week creative stay in the Municipal Gallery bwa in Bydgoszcz, during which the artist will hold two open meetings with the audience (every 2 weeks, as an open studio, workshops, talks, lecture, etc.).
We are going to select the project that is most interesting and can be realised considering the technical conditions of the Gallery.
Tags: City, Visual art`, Dance, Performing Arts, Music, Literature, Education, Animation, Graphic design, Curatorial, Film making, Architecture, Other, 1 month, Part of a Gallery / Museum, Polish, English, French, Private room, Travel expenses, Material expenses, Partially financed, Call for applications
The Municipal Gallery bwa is the largest and most important art gallery in Bydgoszcz, established in 1949 (until 2005 known as Biuro Wystaw Artystycznych – Bureau of Art Exhibitions). The present building of the Gallery was founded in 1970. The twin two floors offer extensive spaces. Each consists of a large hall with an area of 364 m² and a small room with an area of 61 m²; on the ground floor there is another 118 square meters room. Currently, the Gallery presents all disciplines of contemporary art by authors from Bydgoszcz, Poland and abroad. The Gallery organises subject exhibitions, as well as presentations of specific authors, including installations, video shows, performances, and meetings with artist. The Gallery has presented the works of both well-known foreign artists (Dali, Fleischer, Picasso, Warhol), and Polish ones (Abakanowicz, Bereś, Kantor, Nowosielski, Rosenstein). There are also group exhibitions (CHINaRT, Contemporary Art of Lithuania — Od Nowa, New Tendencies in Polish Painting). Gallery does not forget about the Bydgoszcz artists, for whom it organises individual and collective exhibitions and competitions (Polygonum), and who take part in artistic exchanges between Bydgoszcz and partner cities. Gallery organises numerous lectures on art, film screenings, meetings with directors, film seminars, discussion panels. One of the major events is the annual Nights of Performance, with performances by both Polish and foreign performers. Since 2011, Gallery has been working with the organizers of the Camerimage festival, which resulted in excellent exhibitions, such as: “Andrzej Wajda – Drawings”, “David Lynch – Lithographs”, “RH75-Ryszard Horowitz”, “Jessica Lange – Unseen”.
Gdańska 20, Bydgoszcz
During the residency stay at the Municipal Gallery bwa in Bydgoszcz, Agnieszka Kryst will develop her movement practice, in which emotions and their physicality become a conscious tool of composition. She will also lead an open choreographic and dance workshop.Read more
October 21st, 2017 (Saturday), 11:00am – interactive lecture and workshops on convictions October 24th, 2017 (Tuesday), 6pm – interactive lecture and workshops on convictions October 26th, 2017 (Thursday), 6pm – the opening of the interactive exhibition (the Residence of Katarzyna Dworaczyk) In...Read more